A History of Lakewood Ranch

History of Lakewood Ranch.

John Schroeder, a wealthy business owner from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, came to Manatee County in the early 1900s, and began to purchase the land known today as the Schroeder-Manatee Ranch (SMR). An owner of furniture, turpentine, milling and lumber businesses, Schroeder appreciated the abundant natural resources and beauty of the land.

Sprawling view of Greenbrook Village In 1922, the Uihlein family, after whom the mile long lake of Edgewater Village was named, acquired the land and continued to expand the agricultural operations, which are still active today. Cattle ranching, vegetable and citrus farming, timber, turf and shell mining are but a few of these businesses.

In 1994, after 19 years of planning and approvals, real estate development was added into the mix with the introduction of the villages in Lakewood Ranch. The first village was Summerfield, followed by Riverwalk, Edgewater, The Country Club and Greenbrook. With each new homebuyer, the rich sense of family and place continues to make connections at Lakewood Ranch.

To find out more about becoming a part of this wonderful community please call or e-mail Ian at (941)545-5616.